Mar 27, 2020

Update #4 Panama Corona Virus

Currently 786 total cases, 662 of which are on home care. 108 hospitalized, 28 in ICU and 80 in regular medical beds.  2 Full recoveries .  14 deaths so far.

I continue to be amazed at the action taken by Panama's leaders regarding this pandemic.  Despite a large retiree expat population, Bajo Boquete still has not had a single case of coronavirus.  Alto Boquete has had 2,  both originally situated near the Caldera turn off.  One case is hospitalized.  The patient has a history of travel outside the country.    

The expanded curfew hours remain in effect, and during my two-hour window I ran multiple errands easily and quickly.  Completed a bank run, a supermarket run, a pharmacy run, a specialty shop stop for cheese and veggies,  and exchanged a tank of gas, all in less than 30 minutes.  There was almost no one at the supermarket meat counter.  Everything was spotless and smelled the freshest ever in 10 + years of living here.   All employees wore masks and used gloves.  I personally did not use a mask because I haven't been able to find them, but was sure to maintain social distance and use good handwashing practices before and after the excursion.  

My hopes are the numbers for Boquete continue to remain low.  One of the reasons this is occurring, I'm certain, is because Panama's President Cortizo implemented early travel restrictions within the country.  Road blocks were set up to prevent people from the city traveling to Panama's interior and/or beaches during this crisis.  Unless you could show proof of residency, you weren't allowed to cross the checkpoints.  

I am so impressed  and proud of my adopted country of residence.