Sep 17, 2012

Branding Iron has Re-opened

 
It's easy to drive right past this small restaurant on the David-Boquete highway at the Portrerillos intersection.   But today a friend and I stopped for a quick lunch on the way home from shopping.   She'd heard the food was good and wanted to see for herself.   There were approximately six  menu choices, with more planned in the coming days.   Offerings included a fish fillet entree  (flounder), two "tipico" plates with rice, beans, and either chicken or pork,  hot dogs, and regular or quarter pounder hamburgers with fries.   The owner, Neil, from Bocas del Toro via Oklahoma, explained they only recently re-opened and are bringing in imported beef with the intent of becoming known for steaks as their specialty.  They will also have a full bar in the near future.
 
We both opted for the 1/4 lb cheeseburgers.  I ordered a soda as well.  The total was $6.50 for a very tasty burger and homemade french fries.  Service was quick and courteous, and we were given coupons for free drinks upon our return visit. 
 
I believe this is my first cheeseburger ever in Panama.   Because fish is so prevalent and tasty in this country,  I rarely order anything else when I eat out.   But my cheeseburger wasn't disappointing. The french fries, although a little dark brown upon gross inspection, were super delicious.   I had to exercise self-control not to order seconds. 
 
We were shown a preview of the menu-to-be and both my friend and I  felt we'd like to return in the future to sample the steaks and other items.   This could be a regular stop on our Boquete-David jaunts.  Time will tell...