Jun 28, 2014

Pretzels at Mort's Bakery


Stopped in for bagels at Mort's Bakery in San Francisco Plaza today.  Was pleasantly surprised to learn he's started baking pretzels, primarily at the behest of the German expats in Boquete.  Had to try one, so I had him pack a single pretzel in my bagel bag and headed home.  On the way, I reached in and bit into the pretzel.  That was the end of me.  I've eaten plenty of pretzels in my day, but this one, was bar none, the best ever!  I turned around and headed back for more.

They are a little on the small side for soft pretzels, but bursting with flavor and definitely addictive. They cost $1.50, which in my opinon is a little high for this area.  Mort explained to me that the cost is determined by the market. The current low demand plus freshness restraints prevent his producing them in quantity. Also, they require lime, which involves additional clothing and safety measures, augmenting the manpower hours for preparation.  He claims that increased demand will bring down the price, because it costs him the same to produce 20 as to produce 100 and the higher sales would make up for a decreased price.  I'd like to see the price drop to $1.00 per pretzel because I think that is a fairer purchase and I'd buy a lot more at that rate.   I also encouraged him to consider making more and freezing what didn't sell after day one.  I would have no problem eating a thawed pretzel that had been frozen the day of baking.  In fact, I'd even buy a frozen dozen and bring them out one at a time for personal use at home.  

Mort mulled that over and expressed that a few additional customers with my attitude could perhaps do the trick.   If you are out there, please stop in and try Mort's pretzels.   Then, if so inclined, tell him the same thing I did.